Madonna partied hard in Marakesh, the Moroccan capital, to ring in her big 6-0! “In case someone forgot! 👑🌈😂🔥💃🏾🍷🎂♥️🇲🇦#birthday #magic #Marakesh” she captioned the above pic, from the party scene.
In honor of Madonna turning the big 6-0 today—and as a way of thanking her for all she’s done to essentially deliver the soundtrack of our lives—we’re taking stock of a remarkable life well lived (and only just getting started, if you ask us), one crazy fact at a time.
1. Madonna Louise Ciccone was born on August 18, 1958 in Bay City, Michigan. Never one to not tell it like it is, she once referred to her hometown as “a stinky, little town in Northern Michigan” while on national television.
3. A straight-A student, Madonna received a dance scholarship to the University of Michigan.
10. She’s single-handedly responsible for setting the bar for all other artists at the MTV Video Music Awards with her iconic performance of “Like a Virgin” at the cable network’s first-ever ceremony in 1984.
12. Since the release of her first album, she has released a total of 13. Her total album sales have earned her a place in the Guinness Book of World Records as both the most successful female solo artist of all time and the best-selling female recording artist.
15. Madonna has appeared in 19 films over the course of her career, with her starring turn in the 1996 film adaptation of the musical Evita earning her a Golden Globe.
16. On the flip side, she’s won nine Razzies, including the dubious honor of Worst Actress of the Century in 2000.
20. She suffers from brontophobia, which is a fear of thunder and lightning.
23. Gwyneth Paltrow served as the maid of honor during her Scottish wedding to Guy Ritchie.
30. She hates the color orange.
40. Until 2011, she held the record for the shortest amount of time for a solo artist to achieve 20 top 10 singles on the Billboard Hot 100. She was usurped by Rihanna.
50. The Pope actually asked people not to attend her 1990 Blond Ambition World Tour, due to her simulated masturbation during “Like a Virgin.”
55. In 2017, she left New York City behind and began a new chapter of her and her adopted children’s lives as residents of Lisbon, Portugal.
58. She holds the distinction of being the world’s richest recording artist, with a net worth estimated somewhere around $800 million.
Happy birthday, Madonna!